Inhaling Helium Can be a Deadly Party Trick

A 14-year-old girl died last weekend at a party Fox News described has having "booze and marijuana." However, it wasn't the drinking or the drugs that caused Ashley Long's death.

Instead, it was the helium she inhaled.

What is commonly a fun party trick where people breathe in the helium to make their voices sound higher and funnier can have deadly effects-- especially if taken straight from a pressurized tank like the kids did this night.

 

AdobeStock_112758511.jpeg

Inhaling helium can cause gas bubbles to go into the blood stream, ultimately obstructing blood flow to the brain and causing stroke. One-time use can also cause hemorrhaging in your lungs.

To watch a video about this danger from the show The Doctors, click here.

Comments